Local Responses to Global Challenges: Lessons from smaller economies
April 9-12, 2014 – North West, Mt. Hope, Trinidad and Tobago
Hyatt Regency Hotel, Port of Spain
Hosted by Arthur Lok Jack Graduate School of Business, University of West Indies
Whether you are an advocate of globalization, semi-globalization or localization, the reality in business is that dynamic and unpredictable market forces, fast paced technological developments, social movements, and climate change do have a profound impact in the strategy and the organization of your business.
What are the most significant Global Challenges for Business? What opportunities these Global Challenges present to the LATAM and Caribbean Region? How companies in the region have been able to embrace the chaos, uncertainty and ambiguity of markets and technologies for their own advantage? How companies read, understand, and develop foresight using their operating atmosphere and other contexts as sources of inspiration? These are pressing questions our academic community has must tackle.
One of the most important aspects of the conference is to explore, compare and contrast how the local responses to global challenges change relative to the size and resource base of a country or regional economy.
Papers in all areas of business and economics are invited. We especially invite those that explore the challenges of size and resources for economic growth and the role that business, governments and NGOs play in addressing these challenges.
2014 Theme Tracks
- · Size Matters: The Effects of Globalization on Small Economies
- · The Role of the State and State Owned Enterprises in the development of business
General Latin American Business Tracks
- · Accounting, Taxation, and Management Information and Control Systems
- · Consumer Behavior
- · Corporate Finance
- · Culture, Social, and Ethical Issues
- · Economic Environment and Regional Integration
- · Entrepreneurship
- · Financial Markets, Investment and Risk
- · Human Resource Management
- · Information Technology Management
- · Management Education and Teaching Cases
- · Marketing Management
- · Strategies for Global Competitiveness
- · Supply-Chain and Operations Management
Paper Submission Deadline 1 November 2013
BALAS - Seattle University