ISSN print: 1753-6219 | ISSN online: 1753-6227
International Journal of Business and Emerging Markets (IJBEM)
Call for Papers for the Special IJBEM Issue on
Management and Internationalization of Latin America's Firms
Submission deadline: October 31, 2015
Guest Editors: Dr. Ilan Avrichir (email@example.com) and Dr. Felipe Borini
Escola Superior de Propaganda e Marketing – ESPM, São Paulo, Brazil
Latin America (LA) grows faster, attracts more foreign domestic investment (FDI), and is more populous than the European Union and North America. Though its stock of inward FDI matches that of China, top management journals have given little attention to the region, while conferences, journals, and specialists on China abound. Even when scholars have examined LA, they have focused more on addressing disciplinary issues than on providing insights about the region’s specific issues.
The purpose of this special issue is therefore to promote research that focuses on the economic, cultural, geographical, and/or social conditions specific to LA. We seek articles that test the validity of results obtained in other contexts or that develop or empirically verify new concepts and hypotheses concerning conditions particular to LA.
Suitable questions for these topics would include, but are not limited to, the following:
- · What challenges and opportunities do the relatively low levels of economic and institutional development, as well as high dependence on commodity exports, that predominate in the region confront and offer to companies operating in it?
- · What managerial and leadership styles are compatible with the scarcity of resources that tend to be significantly greater in LA than in most economically advanced regions? What are characteristics of these styles, and how can they be developed and/or promoted?
- · What managerial and leadership styles are compatible with features such as orality, informality, and flexibility that research indicates characterize LA’s cultural cluster? Does speaking about a Latin American way of management make sense? Or, is it reasonable to expect one to develop?
- · Why are negative phenomena such as corruption and the low level of innovation so common, and what measures and experiences have been successful in confronting and mitigating these phenomena?
- · In what ways and to what extent are the characteristics of the internationalization of LA firms similar or different to those of other regions? How and why is entrepreneurial orientation related to these characteristics?
- · Do social, economic, and environmental sustainability assume different significance in the context of the region? If so, in what ways should firms seeking to be sustainable act differently in LA than in other locations?
- · Why have some firms in LA been successful amid international competition despite the adverse circumstances that they must negotiate? How do these firms circumvent the liability of origin? Is their performance linked to comparative advantages? What lessons can be learned from their experiences?
- · Submission of manuscripts: October 31, 2015
- · Comments to authors: January 31, 2016
- · Revised paper submission: April 30, 2016
- · Publication in late 2016 or early 2017
All papers must be submitted online. For more details and the submission link, please see the web page http://www.inderscience.com/info/ingeneral/cfp.php?id=2913.
If you experience any problems submitting your paper online, please contact the publishers via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org – describing the exact problems you are experiencing. Include in your message: the title of the Special Issue; the title of the Journal; the name of the Guest Editor; your name and your return e-mail address.
Notes for Authors
- · Submitted papers should not have been previously published nor be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere. (N.B. Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper was not originally copyrighted and if it has been completely re-written).
- · All papers are refereed through a peer review process. A guide for authors, sample copies and other relevant information for submitting papers are available on the Author Guidelines page.
- · All authors must declare that they have read and agreed to the content of the submitted article. Here is a full statement of our Ethical Guidelines for Authors page.